[thelist] the future of IE

Hendrik Mans hm at netzbiest.de
Thu Jan 11 17:46:38 CST 2001

> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4448595-0.html?tag=st.ne.1002.tgif.sf
>
> I don't see the Web developers' life getting any easier...

Why?

<quote>
That's in part because IE isn't Microsoft's only browser. There's also the
more consumer-oriented MSN Explorer, launched last October. And on the
drawing books is the more "knowledge worker"-type interface that Microsoft
is designing into its stealth Netdocs product.
</quote>

MSN Explorer isn't really a new, seperate browser; it's really just a new
shell for what essentially is Internet Explorer. I'm pretty sure that
NetDocs will be based on the IE control (.NET control?) as well, or even run
*inside* it.

Either way, I don't see much of a problem here. If I'm not fundamentally
mistaken about Microsoft's strategy, there will still be *one* renderer (the
IE/.NET COM object), which *will* be integrated into various seperate
shells.

Take care,
Hendrik