[thelist] Filling up timesheets - good or bad?

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Fri Jan 12 04:40:33 CST 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org
To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
cc:

Subject:  Re: [thelist] Filling up timesheets - good or bad?

> > or it cuts into your other 8 hours, then enter it... bosses will see
> > that you are either stressed or grumpy...
>
> enter it as what?

>well, we have a task here called 'Time not Worked'... people
>usually enter details like, playing unreal, trying to clean the mouse,
>finding my color wheel, throwing slinkies at steve, etc...

You also need codes for a range of staff management functions -
holidays, personnel meetings etc etc

>i've been inside 1,500 person companies and 5 person
>companies... i had 4 bosses at one point, and those days were
>horrible... but using a good project manager and time tracking tool
>alleviated a lot of crap, no matter the size of the company... after
>all, we're talking individual projects, not the entire company (which
>is hard to grasp for some boss-men)...

A good system depersonalises issues - it should move the emphasis
from blame to getting things fixed. ISO9000 should also do the same.

>> You're lucky. This never happens to me. I try to work on one thing at a time,
>> but shit seems to revolve around the bossmen/bosswomen/bosspeople's
schedules.
>> I'm working on Project A and they schedule a meeting for project B, stop me
>> talk about Project C, ask a question about Project D that was finished last
>> week, etc., etc., etc.

>it's not as hard as it seems... you ever tried refusing a meeting
>appointment?  it's fun when all 4 of your bosses wonder why, and
>your reason is that you have real work to do...

So you present *them* with the choice - if they would rather project A was
late than miss you out of a meeting on project B, then it's their management
decision.

Of course, you'd present them with a suggested option.

Good managers respect this stuff.

Cheers
Martin

The principal place of business of PricewaterhouseCoopers and its associate
partnerships is 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6NN where lists of the
partners' names are available for inspection. All partners in the associate
partnerships are authorised to conduct business as agents of, and all
contracts for services to clients are with, PricewaterhouseCoopers. The UK
firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers is authorised by the Institute of Chartered
Accountants in England and Wales to carry on investment business.
PricewaterhouseCoopers is a member of the world-wide
PricewaterhouseCoopers organisation.
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please