[thelist] Dan you are the f*ing MAN!

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Fri Jan 12 17:13:31 CST 2001

Low end pentiums rulez! ;)

To get slightly off topic here(and cus I love talking about this kinda
shit, article in progress btw) its even more amazing when you take into
account where your thelist posting goes. Example:

A mail from gate.ti3.com(in dallas physically) heads up to
lists.evolt.org(in oshkosh WI physically(for the time being)) which is a
slim 12 hops across the internet. majorgumbo does some processing on it
and spits it out to one of the relay.evolt.org servers(the low end
pentiums) and it takes another 15 hops to get here to Milwaukee. the
relay servers say, wtf is gate.ti3.com(insert whole DNS configuration
here, which is equally as sweet), and send it back to you in Dallas
which is about another 15 hops across the 'net.

So its pretty cool that even though your email is hitting three
different networks(as opposed to just 2 before I left my old job), its
still fast as hell.

Also, a lot of the speed we see is because the network at my old
job(where lists.evolt.org is still sitting) and my new job(i have the
relay servers here) are both *very* close to the internet backbone. both
networks are pretty much 1-2 hops off the backbone, and that has a bit
to do with it too.

i've got a really cool thing with the mail queue writting to a RAMDISK
too, but thats another 15 paragraphs :)

Thanks at any rate scott :)

<tip type="Friday Night Boogie">

This one is a classic, but a good one none the less:

If you're serious about throwing a great party and serving the best
drinks, start with the basics; ice-cubes. If your ice-cubes come from
bad water, your drinks will taste bad.

If you're trying to impress clients, make a special batch of ice-cubes
for a party, social gathering, client meeting, etc. In this special
batch, use some sort of bottled water like Evian to make your cubes.
Your drinks will taste great, your clients will be impressed, and you'll
get that website contract you've been hoping for!

</tip>

.djc.