[thelist] Getting Started With Linux

Chris Montgomery monty at astutia.com
Sat Jan 13 18:35:31 CST 2001

Howdy folks,

I've been monitoring the list for a couple weeks and this is my first post.
I've been Microsoft centric since 1985 and figure it's time to learn
something new, so Linux is it. I want to start playing with Linux and am
wondering what you might suggest to get started. Buy a book and just jump
in? Download the software or purchase a packaged app like Red Hat? Which
versions of Linux do you recommend?

My immediate goal is to get my feet wet with the Linux OS then eventually
move some of my ColdFusion projects to run under Linux. Any pointers to get
me moving in the right direction would be much appreciated.

TIA,

Chris Montgomery             monty at astutia.com

Web Development & Consulting http://www.astutia.com
Allaire Consulting Partner
210-490-3249/888-745-7603    Fax 210-490-4692
AIM: "astutiaweb", ICQ: 7381282