[thelist] Including a txt file

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 14 12:36:31 CST 2001

> From: "Adrian Fischer" <adrian at aussiebidder.com>
[...]
> Hmmm...ok.   The whole thing has been written in perl so I'll just continue
> doing that.  I had heard though that pages that are pretty much straight
> html would run faster as a .html rather than running them from within the
> script using print.  Any truth to that?

yes... serving a plain text file to the browser is always faster than
walking it through a scripting engine... a document made up of
includes still goes through the scripting engine...

> I do have access to SSI but is there any speed benefit to using SSI over
> just embedding the page into my perl script and calling it that way?

i've found that includes without script get processed more quickly
than generating a page from script, but it depends how you plan to
do it...

originally, i didn't know what language/platform you were using, so i
pulled up a link for doing it in ASP... you don't need it, but it's in
my copy buffer, so:

Including Files in ASP
http://evolt.org/article/Including_Files_in_ASP/17/1344/evolt.org