[thelist] JavaScript Ticker tape

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Jan 15 15:37:31 CST 2001

> Please don't shoot me, but I was wondering exactly how deprecated the
> <marquee> tag is?  If it is still supported, wouldn't that make a nice
> ticker tape?

	<marquee> is a proprietary Microsoft element that is supported by
Internet Explorer 3+, but not by any other browser make that I know of. It
is often tossed into the bin of derision with Netscape's proprietary <blink>
element, and usually with good reason. However, I *have* seen a few
implementations of marquee that were very sophisticated, and looked
indistinguishable from Java scroller applets (the only one I can come up
with right now is on the corporate Intranet, so I can't provide a URL).
	Since it is not part of any W3C standard, standards-compliance is
one strong argument against using <marquee>. Cross-browser compatibility is
another. If you are developing for an IE-only Intranet, it may be a
reasonable alternative to using DHTML or a Java applet; otherwise, not.

James Aylard