[thelist] IIS help needed!

Bob Davis bobd at lists.evolt.org
Mon Jan 15 16:06:31 CST 2001

on 01/15/2001 3:29 PM, Kevin Stevens at kjs at ratking.co.uk wrote:

>> I do all of the scripting myself, and have written a few complicated ASP
>> scripts, some that work with databases (access),
>
> Henry
> I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about (no surprise) but a lot has
> been said in the past about how few simultaneous users Access can handle
> before it gets bogged down. Pure supposition here, but would you get the
> error message you refer to if there are to many people trying to access the
> database at the same time? Has anyone else had this problem that can confirm
> or deny my idea?

I've seen it using ColdFusion.  I was hired to be the corporate web guy for
a company that had been using an outside contractor for all of their web and
intranet stuff.
His work was fine for the company when it was built, but the company doubled
in size so I was seeing failures during peak usage times on the intranet
(lunch, breaks, and when shifts started/ended).  There were, on average, 6
queries per page, many of them were the same stuff and many of the pages
didn't change frequently.

Caching queries and cutting down on the number of queries used on every page
made it happen less frequently.  I wrote a script that looked for an
administrator log in and if it didn't find it would set the cache time to 12
hours.  If there was an administrator session going on, the cache time for
the queries on that page were set to 0.  It worked fine until I could get a
more robust solution (beefier box and SQL Server).

To fix the symptoms of the real problem (the 500 error) I had to shut down
all of the CF processes - which killed all of the queries and freed up
Access so that it could work again.

I believe Access starts to have problems with >6 concurrent users.  With
400+ people in the company running 6 queries per page request, access was
getting a pounding during peak times and would exceed the 6 concurrent users
it could handle effectively.

There's a lot more information on the Allaire forums about this too.

bob

--

bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org