[thelist] Any Flash 5 gurus around?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Jan 15 18:04:31 CST 2001

At 9:52 AM 1/14/1, CDitty wrote:
>I am pulling information from a mysql database via a php script.  I can
>access the php script fine, but for some reason, the first time I pull the
>results, they are blank, from then on, they are 1 pull off.  I have setup
>some text boxes to echo the results and the variables are being returned,
>but flash is not showing the graphics correctly.   Always 1 spin/pull off.

For "What's a plausible way to achieve the above description?" then one
frequent mystery cause of similar posts is when people don't allow enough
time for the net connection to finish.

For instance, consider the following sequence (in pseudo-script)
   LoadVariables();
   UseResult();

Here, you've no sooner fired off the net request than you're trying to use
it. The first call would almost certainly be blank, and subsequent requests
would be one-behind.

Instead, try making the request in one frame, and then in the next polling
for a result:
   if (variable=legalValue) {
     // do stuff
   }  else  {
     // jump back to this frame
   }

Here, you'd look in this one "utilization" frame until the net request is
completed.

You describe *multiple* calls to the same address, so you'd probably want
to either null-out the variable names after using them, or check for a
unique value after each fresh request. You'd also probably want to avoid
the browser cache by appending a unique query term to each request, as in:

  getURL(eval("http://www.mysite.com/data.txt?uniqueID=" + getTimer()));

I realize the above is terse, but I can't even see the question, so the
above are the similar things that come up most frequently in posts from
other folks.

jd