[thelist] a weird question

Herzog, Ari Ari_Herzog at Instron.com
Wed Jan 17 18:20:31 CST 2001

The way I see it from what you have written, you have two choices:

1) You can use a salary as your prioroty.

2) Or, you can use your enjoyment and satisfaction as your priority.

Once you determine your priority, the rest will fall into place smoother.
does that cryptic response help? ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: sarah [mailto:disaster7 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 5:31 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: RE: [thelist] a weird question

Alright I'm going to explain a lot here and ask a few
questions. I could really use the help.

I was hired 10+ months ago as a "HTML coder," and
basically the position was a lot more than that and my
title is officially now "Web Developer." There were
two of us working on the internal site, but the other
left, leaving me as the person who does "everything"
for our intranet: graphics, applications, everything.
After a while I researched my salary to see if it was
"fitting" and found that it wasn't and complained.
They gave me a hefty raise, but not all my boss wish
he could (and not all I wish either).

Right before I was hired, they contracted with a firm
to do our internet site. The price they paid was well
over 10 times what they pay me now (or so I've heard)
and the site was horrible. I could have done something
better in an afternoon. Things were expected to go
find with the company, but they did not. They know
that they got ripped off. Now they want a redesign and
are exploring options.

I offered to do it and I want to do it, but I have
other things I do there too. My boss wants me to come
up with some ideas and thinks it would be great if I
was the hero who saved them a ton of money. But it's a
lot of work and I don't want to do it for what they
pay me now, on top of what I already do, because I
already feel I'm being ripped off. I don't necessarily
have a "job description." I just do our website stuff,
but I haven't done this before for them, but I have
for other people and they know it.

This leads me to my second question, what a reasonable
salary for me might be. Basically I'm 20 years old and
haven't finished college yet, so I don't have a
degree. I work full time and my official title is Web
Developer and I'm the only one. Basically from the
tasks I do, I could be a DBA, Web Designer, Web
Developer, Systems Administrator, and more. Point is,
I do everything. I'm a quick learner and learn new
things all the time. From the web standpoint though, I
have 5 years of design experience and a few years of
application experience, one of those being web based.
According to the monster.com salary survey, it says I
should make 60-90k a year (US). Does this sound
realistic, if not, what does?

Thanks so much everyone,
Sarah

--- McCreath_David