[thelist] scrolling news tickers

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Jan 18 23:37:31 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "A. Erickson" <ilsa at earthlink.net>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 3:12 AM
Subject: RE: [thelist] scrolling news tickers

> > yuck
> >
> > read why this is bad: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001112.html
>
> Not to pick on your personally and not to start a flame war but can we
> please have a moratorium on linking to dear Jakob. I want to hear from real
> developers who make real sites that work on why something is or isn't a
good
> idea.

but these are real design and usability issues being discussed in the alert
boxes ... so surely they must affect "real" sites ... I wouldn't quote or
link Jakob in vain unless I thought he had valid points - some of them i
don't agree with, but some I do, and I agree with him on this one.

"if you don't know what a widget is really for, don't use it" is my motto

in terms of tickers (to get back on topic), i'd go for something like the
apple one - libraries and apps such as gd or the gimp can be used to take
text and render as graphics ... i'd hate to use <marquee> (useless on
non-IE3+ browsers) or java (too slow to fire and unwieldy to use) ...

--
 _ __   ___ _   _ _ __ ___  |      William Anderson - www.well.com/~neuro