skills/expertise/experience (was: Re: [thelist] a weird quest ion)

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Fri Jan 19 02:56:31 CST 2001

Sorry, couldn't resist this, but the C: indicates the drive one is using and
the > right angle bracket (this is a carat ^) indicates that to the right is
the place to start typing.

I know this was probably intended as a joke example, but even in the most
minimalist interfaces there's good and bad interface design. For instance, I
notice that on the command-line prompt under Win 2000 the default is
C:\>
showing that one is in the root directory of the C: drive. This expands to
reflect which directory one is in, e.g.
C:\Temp>

I personally think that designing for the most restricted interfaces gives
some extremely interesting challenges. It's one of the reasons I enjoy WAP,
far from the three rows of text being a restriction I think of them as a
challenge! To be able to provide people with useful information in such a
space requires acute planning. You're not gonna be able to do Flash on a
phone for a while, but once again content is king and making that content
easily available requires great interface planning skills.

</rant> :-)

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com
 Wap-Dev - http://www.wap-dev.net