[thelist] a weird question

Katherine Spice k.spice at acu.ac.uk
Fri Jan 19 06:35:31 CST 2001

Hi Sarah,

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> *Do not* throw away the chance to do this for a few
> dollars. If you're at the start of your career, for goodness'
> sake get this on your resume.

I absolutely and totally agree with this.  Lots of people have already
answered, and given loads of sound advice (as always :-), but I want to
add my 2p, 'cause it sounds like we're in the same boat.

I'm 21, with no degree (actually I dropped out of civil engineering -
besides the point) and I was hired by a charity to "keep the website up
to date" - ie learn enough HTML to edit content. 1 and a bit years
later, I'm doing all the thing you said - backend development (in perl),
(mysql) dba, apache wiz, linux and NT system administrator, and graphic
designer. I've had one major job + salary change (which I pushed for),
when I went from "IT assistant" to "Webmaster", but I had a formal
interview, for a formally written job desc. I know I'm not earning
anything like the maximum I could, but I'm staying put because I've gone
from editing one site to having control over 2 internet (one new one I
designed), and one intranet site (also newly created by me).  Like you,
our main website was created by an external designer expensively before
my time and it's horrible. We're quite difficult to understand and the
fact we've out grown it, means it's time for a new one. I intend to use
the understanding I've got from working here to redesign and refocus the
site and make it more usable. All of these things look good on a resume,
and examples of your work are really important as are good things to
talk about at interview.  It also helps that I like where I work, and
the people I work with.

Anyway - not that I've said much, but at least we know we're not alone!

Katherine