[thelist] CF Express

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Fri Jan 19 22:30:31 CST 2001

Hi All!

I've been working with PHP for a while, well, ok around 9 months, but
I think I'm starting to get the hang of it - projects are working
reasonably well at any rate. I have found templates with PHP to be a
bit painful though, and am enviously looking at the coldfusion way of
doing things as a possible alternative. I'm a bit worried that this
is just another example of my 'grass is greener on the other side of
the fence' syndrome. In order to decide whether it's worthwhile
switching to coldfusion I'm going to install the express version onto
a development server here, and give it a whirl for a couple of
months. (The cost of the 'real' versions is not an issue in the
switch decision, since I'll just get another hosting company.)

Anyhow the question is: has anyone had any experience with coldfusion
*express*? Specifically: is it so crippled that it doesn't really do
anything useful at all? and what are its limitations in real-world
scenarios? I've looked over the allaire feature-comparison pages, and
while obviously useful to those people making a purchase, I'm still
kind-of-fuzzy about what the differences are for developers as
opposed to business men/women. Does the express version do justice to
the full versions? Or would I get a false impression of coldfusion by
using the express version?

Thanks to you all - you're wonderful people,

Andrew
--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz