[thelist] Intention vs. Invention (was Scrolling News...)

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Mon Jan 22 01:19:31 CST 2001

William's kernal from the Jakob related thread:

> I just wish folk hadn't become so reliant on drop-down lists when that's not
> what the widget was designed for ...

What I can't help thinking is that it's not always bad to use things for
purposes not related to their design. Examples that come to mind: Super Glue
has been re-purposed to close cuts, in lieu of stiches. A waffle iron
re-purposed to make soles for the shoes that became Nike...

With pop-up/pull-down menus, web folk have used the tools and parts
available to fashion a navigation device out of a data-entry device. That's
hardly the worst of our crimes, but hopefully we'll come up with something
better. Won't we?

<tip>
Using the wrong tool at the right time might lead to progress - or at least
change. And change is good.
</tip>

matt