[thelist] RE: aardvark- Client Payment Percentages

A. Erickson ilsa at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 22 14:22:51 CST 2001

> I too, have a bit of a problem with the 30/30/rest thing in a
> contract, only
> because of the upfront charges possibly being more than 30% of
> what I actually
> need to purchase at the start of the project--say a store script
> or something.

Isn't this something that you could figure out beforehand? I think you need
to set the next payment at the point in which 30% is used up. For me, it's
usually around Interface Design approval.

Also, even if you're project-pricing something, you should keep diligent
track of your time. I keep my own timesheet and then I can tell how much of
the total that gets burned up when. Helpful for adjusting on the next
project.

> So when I did this a year ago, I would finagle that 30% if I
> needed to. Another
> problem is when the site is done, I only have 60% of the total of
> the price,
> it's a bit confusing for the client sometimes, among other less definable
> misgivings I have with it.

Yes, this is true. I would try to have a conversation with the client before
the project is "finished." Sit down and go through how much they have spent
already, what that covered and what the projected final check is going to
look like.

I would like to hear how others handle this part of it.

- amanda