[thelist] Debugging a New PC

Frank framar at interlog.com
Mon Jan 22 16:28:31 CST 2001

>  First disable any of the automated Norton utilities. In
>  my experience the app is a total resource hog (and buggy
>  as well). In fact I would basically disable (and
>  uninstall0 everything except for the Anti-virus program.
>  I had SystemWorks installed on my old development
>  machine and it was a total nightmare.

Interestingly enough (and I don't know if this is final or not),
removing Norton Utilities has dropped my CPU usage from 98% to about
10%, when idle. System resources went from 93% usage, to 32%, and my
whole system shows 128 megs of RAM.

I can't believe that this program, designed to make my system safe
and stable, created by a big-ass-should-know-better company seems to
have been the primary cause.

The question is what in the hell made the machine think that it was
missing all that RAM? <shakes his head> Sometimes I hate the computer
world. Think it's time for me to become a Mennonite.

By the way, for future reference, was this thread topical, or do I owe?
--

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com