[thelist] How long is a usability piece of string?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Tue Jan 23 09:55:31 CST 2001

Hi Martin,

I'll try to bite my tongue before saying "it depends!"   ;-)

Seriously, you would need to consider how involved you want to get - how
many different areas you want detailed results in - whether you can get test
users to sit still long enough to go through the section(s) you want them to
test.

The actual testing is, I think, the shortest part of the process.  Planning
the test, setting up the environment, documenting the test procedures,
enlisting your 'guinea pigs', analyzing the results, writing up your results
[and/or getting transcripts from your videotapes], and presenting your
results back to the 'team' can take up quite a bit of someone's time.

In a 'casual' environment - you might have this well in hand in less than 2
weeks.  In an 'extremely formal' environment - this could easily take you 3
to 4 months ... my guesses - YMMV.

Depending on the situation - you may also have to steer clear - and not test
areas that can't be changed!   (I once had a non-web client [YWCA] who was
looking into the feasibility of opening an ultra-high-end exercise facility
.... I innocently asked what they were planning to call it if "YWCA" didn't
test well for the high end market ... 'Bambi in the Headlights' eyes!!! - I
think I fused their cerebellum.)

Hope That (was of some limited) Help(s),

Ron L.

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

How many person/days would you expect a credible usability
workstream to take for a reasonably large site (would typically
include both product and non-product info, and shopping)?