Small BG Tiles( was: Re: [thelist] RE: thelist digest, Vol 1 #1044 - 25 msgs)

Bob Davis bobd at lists.evolt.org
Tue Jan 23 14:39:31 CST 2001

on 01/23/2001 1:43 PM, martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com at
martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> Surely the point was that it *does* affect load time (if not *download* time).

On Macs, anything smaller than 4x4 really has problems, and, IIRC, will
crash some versions of NN.

> Far too many sites which do this also don't set the page background to
> anything close to the desired colour, so it's *really* noticeable.

Yeah, I only use something like this with the color of the tile as the
bgcolor attribute.  That way it doesn't look too terrible as things are

> Also, why work with non-web safe colours? Given the range in user platforms,
> you can't guarantee that the colour you want will be exactly reproduced anyway
> (except for Macs running ie5 - it has colorsync support).
>
> Martin

True enough - but even then there's no guarantee. (can't remember the
article, though I believe it was on webmonkey - something about the real web
safe palette).

And a quick reminder - try to make your subjects match up with the content
of your posts.  "thelist digest, Vol 1 #1044 - 25 msgs" doesn't really tell
anyone about what you have to say, and it makes it harder for people to scan
their inbox for posts that they might have some really good input on.

Thanks.

bob

--

bob davis