[thelist] css wackiness/span bad?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 23 14:47:04 CST 2001

> From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>
>
> Have read a few posts that imply that I should know that using <span>
> is bad - what is the problem with it? I've had no problems with it
> that I'm aware of ... I just use it for text when I can't have a line
> break from a <div> ... is there a reason I may not want to do this?

i'm a big detractor of use of the <span> tag...

it's not bad, it's just often not the best tag you can use...  structural
markup is better recognized by text-to-speech browsers as well as
search engines... an <h1> gets a higher ranking than a <span
class="headline"> when the spiders rank page content... <span>
is strictly a method of inserting style, not structure...

if the content does not benefit from a structural tag, so be it, but
most content you want to style has some structural significance,
else you wouldn't do it...