[thelist] css wackiness/span bad?

Suzi Woollatt suzi at swill.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 06:14:31 CST 2001

From: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>

> i'm a big detractor of use of the <span> tag...
> it's not bad, it's just often not the best tag you can use...

Not wishing to sound contradictive in any way, but I have found [probably
because I've missed something along the way;o) ] that I have needed to use
this tag when applying styles to forms, so that Notscape can apply them
beyond the first form object. E.G. row of checkboxes with accompanying text
beside them. To get the text to show in the desired style after the first
checkbox needs span tags thus:

<FORM><P CLASS="text">text here<INPUT NAME="cb1" TYPE="checkbox"
VALUE="option 1"><SPAN CLASS="text"> more text </SPAN><INPUT NAME="cb2"
TYPE="checkbox" VALUE="option 2"> and so on....</P></FORM>

Is there a better way of achieving this to keep NN (&others?) happy?

Great forum btw, an excellent resource. Just wish I'd listened to Mr Burns'
exhalations earlier. (Martin, you would have had a field day on the
freelancers list over the last few days with regards compatibility and
usability <lol>)

later
Martin Woollatt
Martin, Lincs, UK