[thelist] pixels for table ???

Philip Lindsay phil at presence-multimedia.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 08:50:31 CST 2001

on 24/1/01 11:52 am, Charlie Ulyatt at charlie at broadway.org.uk wrote:

> Basic question.......
>
> when using a table to lay out the design of a web page .... I've noticed
> some set it to 100% (as I have been doing) and others go for a fixed no of
> pixels which is what I suspect I should be doing.... any views on this ...
> (and if it is a number of pixels ... any advice on how many....)
>
> Cheers
>
> Charlie

usually you would specify a table, or row or column, in pixels for an
accurate rendering of that particular element.

When one of these elements are specifed as a percentage it renders at the
mercy of the window size, which of course will vary for every user. This can
useful, for example, to ensure your table always sits in the middle of a
browser window.

You can combine pixels and percentages with great effect to achieve an
accurately rendered table which is also scalable within the browser window.

View http://www.black-blum.com/about.html to see a strictly specifed table
which always centers in a browser window.

Hope this helps.

Phil :)