[thelist] Dangerous Colors

Niklaus Haldimann n.haldimann at derbund.ch
Wed Jan 24 09:02:31 CST 2001

Zachary Mutrux wrote:
>Here is an interesting question for the list: what constitutes "web safe"
>color these days? I'm not so sure I know since I read this:
>
>Death of the Web Safe Color Palette
>http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/37/index2a.html?tw=design

BTW: Does actually anybody still design with web safe colors only? What
reasons for?

I reckon there aren't many 256 color monitors left today. And after all
exact colors aren't crucial to most websites - no one uses such slightly
different hues, that two colors could look the same when rendered to the
web safe palette. And different settings across different OS can make a
color look totally different on different monitors even with full blown 16
million colors.

<cynical>
Might it be, that most web designers tend to use web safe colors only,
because it's easier to choose from just 216 colors than from 16 millions?
</cynical>

Think about it.

Niklaus.

--