[thelist] Dangerous Colors

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 24 09:24:31 CST 2001

> From: n.haldimann at derbund.ch (Niklaus Haldimann)
[...]
> BTW: Does actually anybody still design with web safe colors only? What
> reasons for?

not exclusively, no... but whenever i plan to have large flat areas of
color, i'll use a web safe... in some cases if the color *needs* to
match something not in the 216 palette, i ditch it...

> I reckon there aren't many 256 color monitors left today. And after all
> exact colors aren't crucial to most websites - no one uses such slightly
> different hues, that two colors could look the same when rendered to the
> web safe palette. And different settings across different OS can make a
> color look totally different on different monitors even with full blown 16
> million colors.

yep, but ever worked with an ad agency?  two things always give
them cramps -- lack of text control, and lack of precise color
control... they'll look at something on every monitor in the office
and even if it's great on 9 out of 10, they'll still ask you to fix it...
this is from experience with over 10 agencies...

> <cynical>
> Might it be, that most web designers tend to use web safe colors only,
> because it's easier to choose from just 216 colors than from 16 millions?
> </cynical>
>
> Think about it.

um, i doubt that... ever try to create nice gradients, or get a color to
please a client, or match a CMYK swatch with only 256 colors at
your disposal... if anything, i've found most web developers don't
give a rat's left kiester about web safe...