[thelist] Dangerous Colors

Niklaus Haldimann n.haldimann at derbund.ch
Wed Jan 24 09:44:31 CST 2001

aardvark wrote:
>> From: n.haldimann at derbund.ch (Niklaus Haldimann)
>> I reckon there aren't many 256 color monitors left today. And after all
>> exact colors aren't crucial to most websites - no one uses such slightly
>> different hues, that two colors could look the same when rendered to the
>> web safe palette. And different settings across different OS can make a
>> color look totally different on different monitors even with full blown 16
>> million colors.
>
>yep, but ever worked with an ad agency?  two things always give
>them cramps -- lack of text control, and lack of precise color
>control... they'll look at something on every monitor in the office
>and even if it's great on 9 out of 10, they'll still ask you to fix it...
>this is from experience with over 10 agencies...

i gotta admit i was like this, too, way back. but slowly i could accept
that there's no such thing as an exact color on the web and suddenly
everything seems soooo easy.

>> <cynical>
>> Might it be, that most web designers tend to use web safe colors only,
>> because it's easier to choose from just 216 colors than from 16 millions?
>> </cynical>
>>
>> Think about it.
>
>um, i doubt that... ever try to create nice gradients, or get a color to
>please a client, or match a CMYK swatch with only 256 colors at
>your disposal...

hmm. the color-nitpicky client seems to be some sort of urban myth on this
list. ;-) i've never had one, that complained about colors not matching
exactly with their existing CI or whatever. but then, i might just be lucky

http://eBund.ch http://eGames.ch