[thelist] RE: News.com gets a facelift

Edward Smith smith at ibsys.com
Wed Jan 24 12:55:31 CST 2001

Well, if by 'radical', you mean anything that isn't a 'document'.  I see
in very few CMS packages the ability to handle fluid or relational data,
for instance.  Perhaps this defines the separation between a CMS and a
delivery technology, but I don't think so.

Content for me is much more then documents.  It represents things like
quizzes, polls, datasets like sports statistics, standings, scores,
etc.

It has been about half a year since I last comprehensively evaluated CMS
packages, so I could be out of date.  But every thing I do a
comprehensive analysis of the market, I come to the same conclusion -  I
don't need about 80% of the features in just about every pre-packaged
CMS, and they don't have about 80% of the features I need.  And the ones
that are interesting (like Spectra, for instance), are executed poorly.

--
Edward Smith                      Internet Broadcasting System
Director of Architecture          http://www.ibsys.com