[thelist] Petition to bring CF ot Mac OS X

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Fri Jan 26 11:11:31 CST 2001

Judah -

I totally agree with pretty much all of what you're saying. Just wanted
to jump in and ask if you have ever run Linux on a Mac? We both know the
architecture kicks the crap out of CISC, and once you have an operating
system to take advantage of the underlying arch. you end up with a kick
ass server.. Take a look at the IBM RS/6000 series.. pretty much the
same thing..

I just say this because I've run a mac with ppc linux on it as a
webserver for a *very* high traffic site(90-110k page views per day),
and to be blunt; if fucking rocked.

It was a vanilla 9500/200 with 64Mb of RAM running apache and some cgi
stuff(forms, bulliten boards, etc) and it *hummed* with even that amount
of traffic(that many page views came out to about 500K 'hits' per day).
Thats the day I became a believer in Mac hardware, even though the
current OS sucks.

At any rate, I think its A Good Thing to get more commercial products
like CF onto the platform to take advantage of the very nice underlying
hardware. Because once they port it(not just saying CF here, any app
really) to MacOS and therefore BSD, its not difficult to have a Linux
port as well.(again, current java-ness aside) A Linux port of an
application, like oh lets say CF Studio, would free up about a 3GB
partition on my disk that I currently have for Windows, Studio being the
sole app that I'll boot over to Windows to use anymore..

At any rate, we could go on for hours :)

<tip type="apache performance increase">
Did you know that apache comes with a hard limit of 256 child process'?
That means that if you're getting linked to from cnn.com, people
visiting your site are going to see the "Waiting for reply.." message in
their browsers while your apache server waits to free up a process for them.

To get over this limit, edit src/includes/httpd.h and change the
'HARD_SERVER_LIMIT' variable to something like 512. Then recompile
apache and edit your httpd.conf file, setting the 'MaxClients' option to
something between 0-512. Restart apache and you can now handle twice as
many process' as you could before. yay!

</tip>

.djc.