[thelist] radio/checkbox usability

Jake Stetser jake.stetser at headhunter.net
Fri Jan 26 13:55:00 CST 2001

No, that page was designed before I came on. I don't know whether it was
tested or not.

I'm not aware of any user feedback, but it does provide, as someone just
pointed out, a larger target to hit.

and as for good code...

<rant>
I TOTALLY agree with you. I need 'business advantage' reasons, however, to
push correct code forward here. I would like to use style sheets for font
control, because I know it will save many tens of thousands of bytes over
the number of bytes saved by not using quotes.

How do I convince them, though?
</rant>

Aard, I came here from a web shop where I had been pushing for good code,
increased use of CSS where it was reliable, and writing standard-compliant
code, and I was fairly successful there. Unfortunately, that company's
management is comprised of a bunch of hicks from the backwoods of South
Carolina who know neither how to treat their employees, how to communicate
with customers or how to act at all like they know anything except how to
have a country hoe-down with some moonshine. I mean, 2 senior management
officials were having an AFFAIR; they fired the CEO because he was going to
replace the President and CFO with people who knew what they were doing..

*sigh* That's why I got out before they started the layoffs, which came a
couple of weeks ago. Now I'm at headhunter, where I don't have as much say
in what goes and what doesn't. At the other place, if I said we were going
to write good code, we did, and my manager and co-worker (both designers)
backed me up. Here I need a good business reason for it.

I understand their concerns, but I believe in good code myself and will
continue to push - I need to find better reasons, however.