[thelist] Another Site Critique (Please)

Walter Lee Davis waltd at wdstudio.com
Sun Jan 28 02:02:31 CST 2001

One thing I've become more attuned to lately is that if you are
writing your code correctly (font tag inside the <li> tag) the
bullets take on the default text style and not the local style you
may have set. So if you have tasteful -1 Verdana list items, you can
have honking big Times bullets or numbers along side them. I have
seen a lot of sites give up on real bulleted lists altogether, and
use nested tables and &#149; bullets so that everything can be
properly aligned. This gets you away from the problems of the 1/2
inch indent on a bulleted list also. It's not good structural code,
and fails to give text-based browsers (both of them, holed up in a
commune somewhere) anything to work with, but it is a whole lot more
good-looking in my opinion.

Walter