[thelist] benefits of installing IE on a web server

Cory Preus cory_preus at cnt.com
Tue Jan 30 15:59:31 CST 2001

Afternoon all-

I am using an ASP script to retrieve my company's stock price from our
NASDAQ listing. In order to do this, it is necessary to have a server side
XML parser. Our webservers do not have the MSXML.dll installed. According to
MSDN, one must install IE5 or > (it installs MSXML.dll).

I have a couple of questions regarding this. First, is it really necessary
to do the IE install? Could I copy over the dll from another machine and
register it without any problems?

Secondly, what benefits does having IE on a server provide? It seems rather
silly to have a browser on a server...

Cheers,
Cory