[thelist] script that works ok in IE but not in NN

Cristian Secara secarica at fx.ro
Tue Jan 30 18:54:40 CST 2001

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:32:59 -0500, aardvark wrote:

>[...] i'll offer this mirrored link [...]
>Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part I
>http://roselli.org/adrian/articles/browser_stats_1.asp

Wee ... yes, that is. I mean I didn't know about the different screen size report between browsers.
However, it appears the text from Adrian Roselli is wrong !!! In that my IE5.5 reports the actual screen size and my NN4.08 reports screensize-toolbar dimension (the reverse situation as described).

I made the following code just to test the theory; the script structure mimics somewhat the situation for my real page. Copy & paste to a blank .html for a quick test:

===begin test===
(HTML tag removed, to avoid mailer screwiness)
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<TITLE>javascript test page</TITLE>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=javascript 1.2>
var sw = screen.width;
var sh = screen.height;
function PicWindow()
{
alert ("Your screen is "+sw+"x"+sh);
}
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Click <A HREF="javascript:void(0)" onClick="PicWindow()">here</A> to get <I>screen.width</I> & <I>screen.height</I>
</BODY>
(/HTML tag removed)
===end test===

My results (WinME):
IE5.5 wSP1
800x600 or 1024x768 either toolbar condition
NN4.08
800x553 visible toolbar
800x581 autohide toolbar
or
1024x721 visible toolbar
1024x749 autohide toolbar

No differences were encountered with the Quick Launch glued to right or top of screen.
I have not Office installed, so I could not verify the Office Bar issue.

Thank you for the info.
Best wishes,
	Cristi