[thelist] File Maker Pro

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Tue Feb 6 13:24:37 CST 2001

>I do some work on my PC and then
>either e-mail it to him or put it up on our site for him to
>download, will
>he be able to use it on his machine?

Filemaker databases are cross-platform. I don't know the rule of thumb for
version 5, but prior to that, as long as a file was tagged with .fp3, you
could use interchangably on Mac or Windows.

If you're using 5, remember that you both have to use 5. It ain't backwards
compatible.

>If this is not the case then he said
>he will buy me an Imac to work on, or I could write a program
>and store the
>database on the web, but neither of these situations are
>ideal. Can anyone
>help me out here?

Filemaker has its place, and I don't want to start a discussion of its
relative merits compared to other low-end db's (Access), but be aware that
it doesn't use standard database syntax or structure.

David