[thelist] File Maker Pro

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at brown.edu
Tue Feb 6 13:28:37 CST 2001

At 7:14 PM +0000 2/6/01, Kevin Stevens wrote:
>Dear All
>              I have been asked by my boss to do some database work for him
>from home. Because he has an Imac he bought File Maker Pro to do it with.
>Unfortunately I work on a PC at home and I can install the program on my
>machine but what I need to know is this: if I do some work on my PC and then
>either e-mail it to him or put it up on our site for him to download, will
>he be able to use it on his machine? I am aware that several Microsoft
>products are available for the Mac but I'm not sure if the results from a PC
>will be usable on a Mac and vice versa. If this is not the case then he said
>he will buy me an Imac to work on, or I could write a program and store the
>database on the web, but neither of these situations are ideal. Can anyone
>help me out here?

If you're talking specifically about FileMaker, then it will work
cross-platform. Just be sure to have the Mac user, if he creates the
database, use the proper file extensions (.fp4, .fp5, etc.) when he
names the database, to avoid problems on the Windows end.

As far as other programs go, Word/Excel/PowerPoint are pretty much
cross-platform as well, just make sure the right extensions are used
again.

Julia Frizzell                        http://www.netspace.org/~glyneth
julia_frizzell at brown.edu                   http://www.theblackroad.org
glyneth at netspace.org                                      ICQ: 8458071
"On a bad day, I have mood swings -- but on a good day, I have the
whole mood playground." -- Charles Rosenblum