[thelist] Javascript: tricky closing of window

Candace Maynard Candace.Maynard at popart.com
Tue Feb 6 19:02:34 CST 2001

Hi!

My understanding was that his need was to close the
window that opened the popup.  I have successfully
used "window.parent.close();" for this operation.
(After looking it up, I note that point of window.parent
was to work with frames.  So.. I don't know why it
worked for me with popup windows, I just know it did.)

I have also used window.parent.location="somehref.html" to communicate
with the window that opened the popup.  P'raps it's better to
use window.opener.  A few people on the list - and the O'Reilly
textbook - agree that window.parent is fer frames and window.opener
is for popups.  Okay.  But it worked for me.

:)
Candace

	I think you're mistaken about this. Using window.parent within a
pop-up window will return the name of the pop-up window itself. You need
use window.opener in order to communicate with the window that spawned
the
pop-up. At least that's true in IE, Netscape 4.x, and Netscape 6.

James Aylard