[thelist] international friendly form

Ben Dyer ben at imaginuity.com
Wed Feb 7 12:26:31 CST 2001

>So, even if forms aren't generic, as long as all of them have the crucial
>elements which could change (countries, provinces/states, postal codes,
>area codes) databased somehow, then if you change the database, the forms
>will dynamically
>change.

But that only solves one of the problems, and that's updating the
information.  What about getting the information with which to update it?
How do we know when things change?

But then we're stuck with two options in development again: developing
generically or specifying certain rules.  Back to the French example, I had
no idea that was the case!  Assuming I have databased everything, I still
would have to assume certain rule possibilites (State+Zip, State+Zip+4,
Canadian Province+Postal (A1A 1A1 Format), Generic Province+Generic Postal)
and would never have assumed no need for a province in certain cases.

And again, let me reiterate that I'm not trying to be a pig-headed American.
People from other countries tend to go off on Americans: "Why don't you dumb
Americans know?", well, make me know!!  I want to know these rules! :)

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer
Imaginuity Interactive
http://www.imaginuity.com