[thelist] What prog. language to focus on???

David Adams dpadams at island-data.com
Wed Feb 7 23:42:32 CST 2001

>> I'm working on,
>> and right now I'm in an "Intro to Programming Concepts" class
>> with the HWG.
>

> This brings up a great point, and I can't believe I missed it.
>
> LEARN FUNDAMENTALS OF PROGRAMMING.
>
> The rest is syntax and language/platform specific bells and whistles. With a
> solid foundation of programming practices you'll be able to do any of them.

Absolutely! Good programming habits and skills are _far_ more important than
experience in a specific language. Generally, people worth working for
understand this ;-)

I recommend that you read the following three books:

1) Code Complete
2) Code Complete
3) Code Complete

;-)

It's that good. It's by Steve McConnell from Microsoft Press. You can find
it anywhere. (Get it wherever you find it cheapest or that you like best.)
It's not language-specific and focuses on fundamentals and best practices of
code constructions. It isn't full of formulas, hex, or programming arcana.
It's a very easy read full of sensible advice and good information. I can't
recommend it highly enough. If you're interested in programming books, I
have a couple of suggestions at:

    Programming Book Reviews
    http://www.4dcompanion.com/bookreviews/codebooks.html

Actually, that page is a bit weak since I have to include my own books. I'd
love to get suggestions from anyone with a few minutes for books in other
categories more generally relevant to this list:

    Web Design
    http://www.4dcompanion.com/bookreviews/webbooks.html

    HTML
    http://www.4dcompanion.com/bookreviews/htmlbooks.html

    Information Design
    http://www.4dcompanion.com/bookreviews/infodesign.html

    User Interface
    http://www.4dcompanion.com/bookreviews/uibooks.html

    Usability
    http://www.4dcompanion.com/bookreviews/usability.html
    http://www.4dcompanion.com/bookreviews/usability.html

> (But then again, I'm an INTP, who loves to push fundamentals.
> http://www.advisorteam.com/keirsey_rational_architect.html)

ENFP