[thelist] Re: Doc Pool / PHP

Sabrina Dent, Apperception Ltd. sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 17:01:32 CST 2001

Thanks for the info on implementing PHP on Windows. I didn't think it was
that straight-forward. When I hit my "major crisis" and realised our
extranet software wasn't going to work, I did panic and probably didn't
think this through very well.

In the end, for anyone interested, I used a product we've got a lot of
experience with, Links SQL from http://www.gossamer-threads.com  If you've
never seen this before, take a look; it's a Yahoo-style Perl-based links
directory system that has evolved to a very high level of flexibility out of
the box:

* Add links to any category, with description and author info
* Upload documents to any category, with description and author info
* Stick text into a template-driven form to create more traditional content
pages, or a news section, for example.
* Owners of any of the above can easily edit and modify any content
* Administrators can approve new entries/upload, or you can automate it with
a crone job
* Stick *code* into template driven form or modified templates to add
additional functionality, such as calendars
* ODBC support for authenticating userns against exisiting database, or use
packaged database
* Flexible, edit-in-browser templates provided, or use your own

It wasn't originally intended to run something like an extranet, and doesn't
look like much in the demo. But it has grown to support such a wide range of
implementation methods, it's being used -- well -- for almost everything,
somewhere.

Best bits are:

* Easy to install, configure and customize
* Extremely fast deployment
* Cross-platform
* Extreme bargin price of $500. No, I've not missed off a zero!

Thanks for all the advice and info,
Bri

I owe a tip, and I'll provide one post-nap :o)