[thelist] XML 2.0

Eric Cestari eric at ohmforce.com
Mon Feb 12 15:37:15 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at odyssey-design.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] XML 2.0

> NOPE. DTDs are only for the validation of your documents... so you don't
use a
> <dan-tag /> when that's not a tag you should be using (usually because
it's
> not being handled by a stylesheet or parser) or if you type an attribute
as
> vlue='blah' when it should be value='blah'. But there are a lot of other
> goodies in DTDs like datatype validation, etc.

Isn't what XML Schema for (I mean datatype validation )?
I thought DTD were for document validation, but the datatype inside the
#CDATA was no use for that.
Thus they introduced XMLSchema for adding such validation. And XML Schema
'DTDs' are in XML conforming to a certain DTD (this one
http://www.w3.org/1999/05/06-xmlschema-1/structures.dtd I guess)

Feel free to correct me, as it is still quite new to me :)

    Eric