[thelist] dealing with spanish / international characters

Peter Van Dijck peter at vardus.com
Tue Feb 13 10:10:16 CST 2001

Hi,
is the following true? (I'm making this up again from what I've understood)

The character set and the language are seperate in HTML.

In the beginning of the doc you specify which language the doc is in:
(EN is english)
You can also insert

If you want to insert Spanish within that English document, you do this:
Hi people, I <span lang="es">hablo</span> Spanish!
So screenreaders can pronounce that word Spanish.

Special characters should be done like this:
&eacute;
an e with an accent on it
&iquest;
an inverse question mark.

If you want to use a special character set (like hebrew or chinese), you do
it like this:
The user will need to have this character set installed.

Is this all correct? It's confusing me...
Peter