[thelist] SOLVED: multipart/form-data and IE5 for Macintosh?

Chris Spruck cspruck at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 16 00:29:34 CST 2001

Joe,

You aren't going to believe this, but I stumbled across a fix about 5
minutes after my last note. I was idly right-arrow scrolling through the
database table that I used for testing IE5-Mac to remove the extra test
records, when I realized that there was a trailing space on the file names
that I had uploaded with my Mac, but not those sent with Netscape 4.7x. I
definitely didn't add the space myself, so I'm guessing IE does for some
reason. I never would have seen this by just glancing, but I'm famous for
finding flukes like this.

So, I used the Trim function in ColdFusion to strip the trailing space in
the imagename and voila - both gifs and jpegs work like a charm in IE5 for
Mac!

Here's what my new INSERT statement looks like :

INSERT INTO images(title, imagename, category, keywords, comments, subdate,
submittedby)
VALUES('#title#', '#Trim(imagename)#', '#Trim(category)#', '#keywords#',
'#comments#', '#subdate#', '#submittedby#')

For efficiency, you could probably trim all your variables in one swoop
somehow, but I just threw this together quickly to test. Give it a shot and
let us know how it goes - if you can verify this, I'll tip-ify it.

Eagle-Eye Chris