[thelist] article found! - numbers don't lie (was Re: getRows())

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Fri Feb 16 19:42:02 CST 2001

> Matt wrote:
> > This is only faster when you have a large number of rows returned. If I
> recall
> > correctly, it was something like 250 rows.

I don't know how legal this is, but I found a reproduction of the article to
which I was referring:

http://202.102.233.231/bc2000/ASP/articles/base/cn000426.htm

To quote:

"The speed does come at a price however, since the metadata of the recordset
no longer resides with the data. I worked around this by using the recordset
to retrieve the heading names prior to calling GetRows. In addition, data
types and other information could also be extracted in advance. Also note that
in our test, the performance advantage was only seen when using the larger
recordset."

The "larger recordset" was, in fact, the recordset that had a result of 250
rows (my memory surprises me sometimes) and the tests were consisted of three
result sizes, as shown in the following explanation of the data:

"
0 Represents the TTLB (Time To Last Byte) in milliseconds when running the
query that returns 0 records. In all our tests, this number is used as the
overhead of the page or the time it takes to load the page and create the
objects but not iterate through the data.

25 TTLB in milliseconds to load and display 25 records.
tot time/25 TTLB in milliseconds divided by 25 records. This represents the
total average time per record.
disp time/25 TTLB in milliseconds minus the TTLB for the "0" column divided by
the 25 records. This represents the time to display each record within the
recordset iteration.

250 TTLB in milliseconds to load and display 250 records.
tot time/250 TTLB in milliseconds divided by 250 records. This represents the
total average time per record
disp time/250 TTLB in milliseconds minus the TTLB for the "0" column divided
by the 250 records. This represents the time to display each record within the
recordset iteration. "

So, the point is that getRows is slower per record unless you use it with
larger results. I suggest you read the entire article. The images which show
the results are broken, but you can pretty much figure it out from the
surrounding verbiage. Or, you could subscribe to ASPToday (those greedy
bastards) and see the article straight from the horse's mouth.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com