Liquid Layout (Was RE: [thelist] Tip o'the day (x2))

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Mon Feb 19 05:05:36 CST 2001

<alert type="heresy right ahead">

Apart from the ability to fill screen space entirely
for its own sake, and to create bodies of text
far too physically wide to be comfortably legible,
what is the point of 'liquid' layout anyway?

Assuming that your accessibility requirements are
adequately covered in other ways, I mean?

Sorry, but I *really* don't like liquid layouts.
I use a 1024x768 (laptop) screen for work, and
even evolt.org is bloody difficult to read because
People Can't Read Wide Columns Of Text. This Lesson
Was Learned In Print Centuries Ago Which Is Why
Newspapers Have Column Layouts.  Just because
something *can* be done, doesn't mean it should.

[dons flame-retardent suit]

John Handelaar

T +44 20 7209 4117       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com