[thelist] Tip o'the day (x2)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 19 07:47:06 CST 2001

> From: "John Handelaar" <john at userfrenzy.com>
>
> 1	I'd like some data on what happened to the
>  traffic on Adobe.com after they locked out
>  pre-v4 browsers over a year ago.  Basically the
>  company (which *does* need to be widely available
>  online in order to promote sales and upgrades)
>  decided that the only thing to do with NN3/IE3
>  users was say "Oh, will you just f888 *off*?"

interesting questionl... personally, i get more pissed off that i can't
there via adobe.com and have to use www.adobe.com... both those
facts make it hurt to listen to them talk about the web sometimes...

> 2	Overall, how about this:  we do one version of
>  each site for the 'good' browsers (though I'm
>  not anywhere near getting rid of my tables yet),
>  and everyone else can have the text-only version
>  which we have to do anyway.

i still don't agree that you have to do a text-only version...

the whole point i've been championing all along is that if you build it
right, you don't need a text version... the regular version is
accessible and degrades well enough that it's not necessary...

personally, i won't build two versions of a site if i don't have to... it's
a waste of the client's money...