[thelist] Re-installing Windows

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Mon Feb 19 17:01:01 CST 2001

I know some of your email address' were showing up as
user at lists.evolt.org instead of user at members.evolt.org - just wanted to
say that should be fixed.. I saw ron's post come through and it made me
remember to fix that.

<tip type="DNS records & sendmail">
If you have several subdomains on one machine, ohh.. say like
lists.evolt.org and members.evolt.org and you want sendmail to show
address's as individual subdomains and *not* masquerade them so that
user at members.evolt.org gets rewritten as user at lists.evolt.org you need
to use an A record for that subdomain you *don't* want masqueraded.

You can try and try to have sendmail(or your MTA of choice) rewrite the
address for a subdomain thats a CNAME for another subdomain(or domain i
guess) like members.evolt.org was a CNAME for lists.evolt.org, but it
just won't work. You need to change the CNAME record for the domain you
don't want masqueraded to a regular A record in your zone file. Then
you're MTA won't masquerade the domain.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but maybe someday someone will
use it and know wtf i'm talking about :)
</tip>

.djc.