[thelist] RE: Design Resolutions

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 20:23:08 CST 2001

Hi Annie...

I still try to make sure the site looks OK at 640 but I now design for 800.
This means that all the important stuff (navigation and main content)
fits/goes in the first 600 or so px and the secondary stuff (advertising,
secondary navigation, whatever) goes in the rest. That means the secondary
content "hangs off" the right side at 640x480... but its nicely divided.

Or I use the contentious "liquid pages." Or a combination of both, so that I
have liquid pages that don't shrink below 800 but divide nicely at 640. It
depends. "On what?" is a different post :o)

--Bri

> From: "aphelan (Andrea Phelan)" <aphelan at confederationc.on.ca>
> Subject: [thelist] Design Resolutions

> I've noticed myself less concerned with designing for a screen resolution
of
> 640x480. From  my understanding the standard has been 800x600 for over a
> year now, how important is it to make sure that sites look ok on 640x480?
Is
> the user percentage worth the trouble?

Annie