[thelist] Design Resolutions

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Mon Feb 19 21:28:07 CST 2001

> I've noticed myself less concerned with designing for a screen
> resolution of
> 640x480. From  my understanding the standard has been 800x600 for over a
> year now, how important is it to make sure that sites look ok on
> 640x480? Is
> the user percentage worth the trouble?

I was kind of hoping that this thread was about real design resolutions
like:
	I resolve to go back to learning the basics of color.
	I resolve to never bevel anything ever again.
	I resolve to embrace minimalism.
	I resolve to smoke a less snotty brand of cigarette.

Alas, that is not what this thread is about.

I still use 640x480 (or, rather, somewhere around 600x450) as a benchmark. I
recently created a site with an 800x400 benchmark, ensuring though that the
content was easily visible at smaller resolutions (they'll just miss out on
some of my fancy-pants design). Oddly enough, that client came back to me
and wanted it bigger!

Bigger would have meant that a full-size window at 1200xwhatever would have
to read faaar across the screen with the content and that at 640x480 the
user would have to use the horizontal scroll repeatedly just to read a line.

This isn't directed to the initiator of the thread, necessarily, but I think
it is really important to embrace the limits of the medium.

- amanda

--
http://gawow.com