[thelist] Installing IE [Was: Re: Evolt Browser Page]

Abhay S. Kushwaha abhay at kushwaha.com
Tue Feb 20 02:00:08 CST 2001

I think the file available is only the browser component and the
supporting files and not the full suite, that is, it most probably
lacks OE, Netmeeting, Chat, Wallet, Language Selection, etc. I say so
because the IE 4 through 5.51 SP1 that I have are each 30 Mb plus - I
have this nasty habit of downloading the full install (even the NT
component) before even beginning to install it on my poor old OSR 2.
;) It always comes in handy in an office environment which gives a
full representation of any Windows version MS might have released.

So, I don't think the 12 Mb installation will require you to be
connected to the Net unless you select those components to be
installed which are not included. If you do, it will. The "download
and install" file is just above half a Meg, so this is obviously a
standalone copy.

Do this:
  When you click on the last "Next" in the wizard, if IE tells you
  to "Choose a location" then you know you have selected a component
  of which you do not posess the .CAB files of. Just go back and
  keep deselecting things till IE just flatly goes on and installs
  itself. Might be a pain I guess if you want the whole suite.

If you want me to upload the full IE 5.01 (the oldest 5x version that
I have) let me know -- it is 32 Mb or something.

[abhay]
aka [the browser freak]