[thelist] From PHP to...?

Hendrik Mans hendrik at mans.de
Wed Feb 21 09:16:12 CST 2001

Hey list,

me again. :)

For the last four years or so, I've been building websites using PHP (before
that, I was using good old lite and mSQL -- pain!), and I'm beginning to
feel that I've reached a point where I should look at alternative web
development platforms/systems/languages.

For example Java servlets, or whatever people call them nowadays. I admit I
my Java knowledge is *very* limited (I haven't really had the time to look
at it so far), but I'm pretty confident I'll be able to pick it up in a
relatively short time.

So, to anyone on this list who knows both languages/platforms and possibly
even made this jump him/herself before: can you tell me what changes (in
terms of development paradigm) I can expect when I move from PHP to Java?
Are there any "must have" books/HOWTOs/websites I should buy/read/know
about? And, most importantly, is this jump actually worth it?

Thanks,
Hendrik

"Madre de dios! Es el planeta de la mierda!"
http://www.planetcrap.com