[thelist] From PHP to...?

Eric Cestari eric at ohmforce.com
Wed Feb 21 10:29:12 CST 2001

Hi Hendrick & Steve,

Strange thing. I am currently about to start serious Servlet
programming. And my background _is_ PHP.
Just to say : "I am concerned by your question" !

Let aside intranet & internet development, we know that Java is a tool
of choice for companies to build their business tools and core
applications. The advantage or servlets is obvious : integration of
these objects within the website is more straight forward with a Java
based solution (using RMI IIOP or whatever).
I guess this is one point, maybe the most important.

Afterwards, well, Java is pure OO, to the difference of PHP, which only
has a sugar coating OO.
Thus if you want rock solid OO, well Java's here for you.

Beans are great ! This is reusability. There's no equivalent in PHP.
Maybe with the PEAR project, we might find something close to this.

Damn, I had one more good thing to say about servlet, but ... it did not
wait for me to type it :(

I enjoy PHP, though :)
I tried something a few month ago using PHP _and_ Java, 'twas calling
Java classes with PHP. That was pretty neat, indeed. (I might play some
more with it one day)

BTW, I was wondering if servlet hosting existed, in the wild (for free
or nearly free) ?
(I do have my container running at home, but that's no production site)
Maybe at evolt.org, one day ? :)

Cheers,
	Eric

Steve Cook wrote:

> Hej Hendrick,
>
> Excellent question! I don't know the answer but I have some opinions
> regarding this. My experience is in Perl / ASP (VBScript) / PHP. I've had
> very little contact with Java, especially on the server side, but the
> contact I have had makes me question what the major gains are with Java
> servlets and JSPs.
>
> I'm currently evaluating some Java Servlet code for a book chapter. Setting
> up a Java Server was pretty straightforward with Allaire's JRun developers
> edition. The fun seems to stop there though! I'll admit that I haven't gone
> through the rigmarole of learning the directory layouts, the differences
> between servlets, jsp, Jini etc (in more than the most base levels), but it
> looks hellishly overcomplicated to me.
>
> I guess that at the end of the day, server side Java can accomplish pretty
> much anything that can be accomplished with other forms of serverside
> programming. I guess that if one is predisposed to programming in Java (or
> is used to C++) then it's a wonderful environment. What I'm very unsure
> about though is whether serverside Java can do anything extra that would
> make it worthwhile for the non-Java programmer to change over. I would like
> to hope so, but in all the conversations I've ever had about it I've not yet
> heard one single point that would make me consider taking the time to learn
> it.
>
> I would LOVE to hear of some really good reasons though. Perhaps someone
> here has been programming in this environment long enough to be able to
> explain what the advantages are?
>
> .steve

Eric Cestari                      |               Ohm Force
Chief Web Designer                |  Digital Audio Software
mailto:eric.cestari at ohmforce.com  | http://www.ohmforce.com