[thelist] From PHP to...?

Candace Maynard candace_maynard at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 16:17:42 CST 2001

Hi, Eric, Hendrick, and Steve --

I wanted to add one more thing.

Java has some neato security features that other
server-side stuff does not (to my knowledge, anyway)
have: its class loader structure.

You might know most of this, so feel free to skim. :)
Anywho: Java runs on a virtual machine.  Part of
that VM is its class loaders.  There are several
different class loaders.  It starts with default
classes.  There's a bootstrap loader that loads all
of the non-user defined classes into the current
namespace.  Then, if you've defined your own classes,
it creates a class loader for it (in Java) and then
uses it to load your classes.  The neat part here
is that if you have child.parent.grandparent classes,
the whole line will be called through the same
class loader.  And - and this is the money -
*classes called through one class loader cannot be
used in another class loader unless directly specified
to do so*.
The swell thing: cousins can't kiss,
and that means hostile code can't call members
of other classes.  You actually create separate
namespaces within the same Java application.

Kinda expensive, but good fer security.

:)
Candace

--- Eric Cestari <eric at ohmforce.com> wrote:
> Hi Hendrick & Steve,
>
> Strange thing. I am currently about to start serious
> Servlet
> programming. And my background _is_ PHP.
> Just to say : "I am concerned by your question" !

<snip>