[thelist] Allaire Spectra Inquiry

Raymond Camden morpheus at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 17:28:29 CST 2001

> 1) How long did it take you to set up the system, from opening
> the box to the site being ready for use (assuming the content
> already exists).  Was it a matter of days, weeks, or months?

Mind you, it's been a long time since I was 'new' to Spectra, but I would say it took me
a few weeks to get comfortable with the product. Once you read the docs, it's not that
hard to use, especially if you take your time to understand the framework aspect of it.

> 2) Is ColdFusion knowledge required to use the base
> functionality of Spectra, or only if you want to expand
> upon it (I have not yet used ColdFusion, but will be
> teaching myself as I go)?

I would say so. Spectra will not, out of the box, morph into a web site. You WILL be
doing coding. That being said, I normally say it's a good idea to a 'medium' level CF
coder. You certainly don't have to be an expert, but it helps to not be a newbie.

> 3) How much of the functionality is built in to the system,
> and how much of it do you have to build yourself using
> ColdFusion?

I like to say that Spectra gets you about 90% of the way to building an awesome web site.
As I said before, I'm biased, but I really feel that Spectra helps me build great stuff
fast.

Of course, if you have any technical questions about the product, feel free to ask me.

-Ray Camden